Health and Safety
If you are involved in an accident while at College you should request help immediately from a member of staff or Reception in the Hub. Once any emergency has passed you must ensure an accident form is completed either by yourself or the staff member who assisted with the incident. This is a legal requirement.
Fire (Emergency Evacuation Procedure)
If the fire alarm sounds you should leave the building immediately and make your way to the nearest assembly point. Do not use lifts. Notices are displayed throughout the college identifying the assembly points. There are fire refuges, within all buildings, for use by people with mobility difficulties. You must never re-enter a building until a member of staff tells you it is safe to do so.
If you discover a fire:
- Immediately activate the nearest or safest fire alarm, do not wait until you have informed a responsible person.
- Ring 555 or 01509 618395 to inform reception of the emergency – if safe to do so.
- Do not attempt to extinguish the fire – unless trained to do so.
- If you are unable to leave the building unassisted or have mobility issues, you must wait in one of the building refuge areas. Our fire marshals will note where you are and arrangements will be made to evacuate you as necessary.
On hearing the fire alarm:
- Leave the building sensibly by the nearest exit.
- Proceed to the nearest assembly point to your building – see blue ‘fire action’ signs posted in each building.
- Do not use the lifts.
- Do not run.
- Do not stop to collect personal belongings.
- Do not attempt to leave campus while evacuation is in progress.
- Do not re-enter the building until given the all clear through central control in the assembly point.
No cars, bikes or motorcycles should be used during a fire evacuation as they could obstruct emergency services vehicles.
Emergency Assembly Points
- Hub & Performing Arts – Radmoor Road end of car park 1 (front doors) Car park 4 (rear doors)
- B Block – Car park 4
- L Block – Epinal Road end of car park 1
- Technology & AG block – Car park 4
- HE Centre – Epinal Road end of car park 1
- 2012 Centre – Radmoor Road end of car park 1
- Radmoor Centre – Epinal Road end of car park 1
- Nursery – Radmoor road end of car park 1
- Sport Pavilion – Car park 5
- S Block – Epinal Road end of car park 1
At Loughborough College we have an on-call first aid system and we have a team of first aiders that answer calls on a rota basis. Our Science, Sport and Technology departments have their own dedicated first aiders.
Ways to obtain first aid assistance:
- Ask your tutor to contact the first aid team for you
- Contact reception who will send a first aider to you
- We have a medical room on site in the HUB for basic first aid
- For more specialist care ‘Loughborough Urgent Care Centre’ is located on Epinal Way
Call: 555 or 07867 831233
We need you to help us make Loughborough College a secure, safe and friendly place for all its students, staff and visitors.
You are responsible for the safe-keeping of your own property (money, phones, bags etc). Never leave your personal belongings unattended. Loughborough College cannot be held responsible for any damage, loss or theft of your property, including vehicles and bikes, whilst at College.
In some areas, students can use lockers and/or bicycle lockers to keep their personal belongings safe.
The College operates a CCTV system which is provided for the safety and security of everyone. Any behaviour which puts safety and security at risk will result in disciplinary action.
Emergency Lockdown Procedure
Lockdown on Campus
The video below demonstrates what to do in the event of a lockdown situation on campus. In the event that this should happen, computer screens will display the lockdown message and staff will instruct you on what to do. It is really important to stay calm and stay out of visibility.
We will also deliver a range of live drills on campus following your induction.
The video is a part of your PREVENT training module and shows you exactly what you should do.
For further information about this please contact the Safeguarding Team on 07979 737474.