Security and Prevention
24/7 site support is available. Access to the site and blocks is by an electronic card door entry system. All flat and bedroom doors are lockable. External lighting on site and on buildings. All windows have restrictors fitted. CCTV is installed to monitor all external space within the site and within blocks the stairwells, entrances, and corridors.
You are advised to always lock your rooms and your flat doors.
Anyone found to be interfering or obscuring CCTV equipment will be subject to disciplinary procedures.
Pressing emergency release buttons on Block doors and the pedestrian gate is a serious breach of security that puts all student’s safety at risk.
For your own personal safety follow these suggestions:
- Avoid being out on your own after dark
- Avoid dark alleys, parks, and isolated areas
- Let your friends know you are going out and what time to expect you back
- Be back in for the nightly safe and well checks if living in an under 18 block
- Lock your bedroom door
- Keep flat doors locked
- Do not use emergency release buttons to exit blocks or the pedestrian gate
- Comply with all safety rules and instructions
- Report any accidents or near misses to the Accommodation Team
- Do not interfere with any safety equipment
- Always stay with guests
- Maximum speed on site and college is 5 mph when driving, always wear your seat belt and have the right insurance cover
- Do not press emergency release buttons on Block doors or pedestrian gate
- Complete your absence forms if you are away from The Gables so we can confirm your whereabouts with parents/guardians
Safety of possessions
Use bike lockers, lock your car, keep bedroom secure by locking door and insure valuable items.
For those living in ground floor flats, do not have expensive items on show.
Keep flat and room doors locked.
For more information refer to Insurance.
Window opening restrictors
These are provided for your own safety and must not be tampered with. Any attempt to tamper with the restraints will result in disciplinary action and replacements will be charged to students.