Using the Microsoft Teams Desktop App
Logging in to Microsoft Teams
If you haven’t already, download the desktop app by heading to the Microsoft Teams App Download page (Teams for work or school)
As this application is part of Office365 you must use your email address as your username. (e.g. email@example.com)
Your password is the same password used to access any system at Loughborough College. Remember to go to your.loucoll.ac.uk if you are having issues with your password and need to reset it.
Finding Your Classes (Teams)
To access your class (team) you need to have successfully logged in to Microsoft Teams. Once there you will see the interface and a number of buttons down the left-hand side. Click on Teams to see all of the Teams to which you have been added.
If you don’t appear to have access to the teams you were expecting contact your lecturer or tutor who will add you to the team manually.
Until this has been done you will not have access to the team. Below you can see a video showing what your teams would look like in the Desktop App and Online Microsoft Teams versions.
As a student, what can you do in Microsoft Teams
Students will not have access to certain features within Microsoft Teams. As a student (member) of the team you may be able to do the following depending on whether your lecturer has enabled/disable the feature:
- Communicate with your lecturer and fellow students but ONLY within the channels of the team.
- You can delete or edit your own message.
- You can join meetings setup by your lecturer within the channels of the team.
- You can use the @ symbol to mention other members of the team.
- You can use emojis, memes, GIFs or stickers.
- Access the files shared by the lecturer in the Files tab.
- Submit assignments set by your lecturer.
- Access feedback that may have been given by the lecturer for your own assignment submissions
- Edit files not in the Class Materials folder of the Files tab.
- Access the Class OneNote (if this has been setup by your lecturer)
- Access other tabs on the team that your lecture may have added (e.g. Stream channel)
You will not be able to do the following:
- Create your own channels
- Access private channels unless you have been given permission by your lecturer
- Call other students
Despite some of these features being available it is important for you to realise that there are certain behaviours as an organisation that we expect and you must remember that on our network your activity is always logged.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I can't see my team / class.
Contact your lecturer to make sure you have been added to the class. You should also make sure you are logged in using your Loughborough College account.