Create and send a message in a chat or channel
Click the compose box to create a message. You can type out a simple message, or add on.
- Attach an image, gif, sticker, or file
- Use rich text to make your message stand out
- Format your message with bullets or make a numbered list
- @mention your teacher or a classmate.
To switch from a conversation in a team channel to a private chat group, select the Chat icon.
Replying to Conversations
Posts in channels are threaded like social media posts. Reply under the original post to keep all the messages in a conversation organized together.
- Find the conversation thread you want to reply to.
- Click Reply, add your message, and click Send .
There are lots of formatting options for messages.
To open your formatting options, select Format beneath the box where you type your message. In this expanded view, select the text you want to format, then choose an option like B, I, or U to bold, italicize, or underline the text.
There are also options for highlighting, font size, lists, and more. Check out More options for additional formatting options, and the buttons below the box for attaching a file or inserting fun stuff like emoji.
To get someone’s attention in a channel conversation or a chat, @mention them. Just type @ before their name and then select them from the menu that appears.
Note: You can also mention someone simply by typing their name. Start by capitalizing the first letter and as you continue to type the name, a list of people will show for you to choose from.
They receive a notification, which they can click to go directly into the point in the conversation where they were mentioned.
To get the attention of an entire team, try one of these:
- Post something in the Team’s general channel. The channel name appears bold for every team member.
- Type @team to message everyone on that team.
- Type @channel to notify everyone who has favorited that channel.